CERT Team Training is being scheduled at the following locations:
- CERT Team Training (Below)
- On February 28, 2003, President Bush issued Homeland Security Presidential
Directive-5. HSPD-5 directed the Secretary of Homeland Security to develop and administer a
National Incident Management System (NIMS). NIMS provides a consistent nationwide template to
enable all government, private-sector, and nongovernmental organizations to work together
during domestic incidents. NIMS training is currently available as a FEMA Independent Study
Course (IS-700). To enroll in this course go to:
FEMA Independent Study.
- Incident Command training is being developed and offered for a variety of disciplines,
including Federal Disaster Workers, Public Works, Law Enforcement, and Public Health. All of
the ICS training offered through these courses is consistent. However, the various versions
include examples and exercises specific to each of these disciplines. ICS 100, Introduction
to the Incident Command System, introduces the Incident Command System (ICS) and provides
the foundation for higher level ICS training. This course describes the history, features
and principles, and organizational structure of the Incident Command System. It also
explains the relationship between ICS and the National Incident Management System (NIMS). To
enroll in this course go to: FEMA Independent Study.
Hurricane Preparedness Planning for Businesses (Acrobat pdf document)
- The Baytown Citizen Police Academy - is a unique learning experience
conducted by the Baytown Police Department. It is designed to give citizens a better
understanding of the operation and mission of their local Police Department. Each
class covers a different topic; areas include patrol, criminal investigations, crime
prevention, and traffic enforcement, use of force, narcotics, communications, and
gangs among other topics. Classes meet each Thursday evening from 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm. If
you are interested please contact Stewart Beasley at 281-420-6662 or
- The Greater Houston Area Red Cross offers training and volunteer opportunities for all ages. Whether you want to become a trained
American Red Cross volunteer, acquire skills for a new job, or enhance your current skills, you can depend on Red Cross to offer quality and
consistent training. All courses require preregistration, and space is limited. Classes are held throughout our 18-county area.
- A new online presentation is now available at
help prepare individuals for emergencies at home, at work and in their communities. The
presentation includes sound narration throughout, as well as streaming video of key first
aid skills, including conscious choking and CPR. Visitors to the site can also download
an emergency preparedness kit shopping list and key steps in making an emergency plan.
- First Aid CPR certification (approximately 9 hours) is being offered by the Red Cross.
Please contact the
Red Cross for the next available class.
- Individual Preparedness & Response: A Quick Guide. (Acrobat pdf document)
- The SAFE KIDS Greater Houston Child Safety Seat Inspection Stations are located throughout the county, make an appointment today. (Acrobat pdf document)
- Bellaire Fire Department Citizens Fire Academy - The academy provides an opportunity for you to become familiar with the operations
of the fire department. The academy is a total of eleven weeks and is held on every Wednesday evening from 7:00pm to 9:00pm with three
classes held on Saturday. If you are interested please contact the station at 713-662-8202 or you can e-mail the
coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jersey Village Police Department Citizens Police Academy - The academy provides an opportunity for you to become familiar with the
operations of the police department. The academy is a total of eleven weeks and is held on every Tuesday evening from 7:00pm to 9:00pm. If you
are interested please contact Joyce Undershill at 713-446-2100.
- The Texas Center for the Missing offers a Missing Child Awareness,
Prevention and Education Program which is designed to raise awareness
about the social issues surrounding missing children. Parents, concerned
citizens and child service providers will be taught how to minimize the
risk that children will be lost or abducted; abduction prevention
techniques are discussed, as well as what to do if a child is abducted; and
a parent’s role in prevention and search efforts. To learn more please
contact Melissa A. Hulin at 713-314-3673 or email@example.com.
- The Harris County Public Library’s adult literacy program needs literacy tutor volunteers, who assist adults in
reading at a grade 0-5 reading level, as well as volunteer English as a second language tutors (who assist adults
new to the United States) at many Harris County Public Library branches. Training and materials are provided for
new volunteers at no charge. More information is available at
www.hcpl.net/literacy/literacy.htm. If you are
interested you have other questions about the library’s adult literacy programs, please contact Steve Zack at
713-749-9035 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Surviving Fire - Test your survival skills in a virtual town filled with different types of houses.
- Houston Sail and Power Squadron offers three types of public courses:
1. BoatSmart - a one day overview of boating safety
2. Seminars - a series of two hour discussions on particular boating topics
3. Squadron Boating Course - a four week course (meets once per week)
- The Squadron offers to the general public a variety of boating courses including boat safety. “BoatSmart” covers seamanship,
required equipment, regulations and rules of the road, emergency procedures and much more. It covers just about everything you need
to get started, and is a great refresher for the more experienced boater. For more information
- There is also a course available for home study. The on-line
America's Boating Course (ABC), a joint effort between USPS and the United States Coast
Guard Auxiliary, includes an interactive computer CD-ROM that serves as a "virtual" instructor with audio and video clips.
- Certified Chaplaincy Training Program: This certification teaches the basic skills necessary to assist at hospitals, jails, orphanages, elderly homes,
police stations, or in disaster areas. This training allows you to study at home or attend one of the scheduled workshops. After completion each student
will receive credentials which includes a personalized badge and certificate. For more information please click on the following link: http://www.christianbibleinstitute.net/certification_programs
or you may contact Dr. Lewis at 281-330-5878.
- Independence Heights CERT training will be held at the Yale Street Church, 4315 Yale St., Houston, TX 77018. Training is
free and open to the public. Classes will be held on Monday evenings from 6:00-9:00 pm, beginning April 1 and ending May 20, 2013. To register
or for further information contact Mardie Paige at Mardie@independenceheights.org or 713-482-6800
or Henry Paige at email@example.com or 832-208-3007.
- Southwest Area CERT Team training will be held at the Southwest Multi-Service Center, 6400 High Star, Houston, TX 77074. Training is free and open to
the public. Classes will be taught in Spanish on Saturday mornings from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, beginning March 23 and ending May 18, 2013. To register
or for further information contact Ana Villanueva at firstname.lastname@example.org or text 832-814-5636 or Captain Homero Ponce’-Lopez (HFD Ret.)
at Homero.Ponce-Lopez@houstontx.gov or 832-393-1071.
- Cy Fair Area CERT training will be held at the Bear Creek United Methodist Church, Life Ctr., 16000 Rippling Water Drive, Houston, 77084. Classes will
be held on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., starting April 3, 2013 and ending May 22, 2013. To register and further information contact Jackie Falls
- City of Nassau Bay OEM will be offering CERT training at Nassau Bay City Hall, 18100 Upper Bay Rd., 2nd flr. Council Room, Nassau Bay, TX 77058. Classes
will be held on Thursday evenings from 6:30pm - 9:30pm, beginning April 4, 2013 and ending May 23, 2013. The training is free and open to the public. To register or for further
information, please contact Ronica Hall at email@example.com, 281-326-5644 or Donna Contenta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tomball CERT Team training will be held at Tomball Fire Department, 1200 Rudel, Tomball, Texas 77375. Classes will be held on Tuesday evenings
from 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., starting June 11, 2013 and ending July 30, 2013. To register contact Lisa Griffin at email@example.com
or 281-351-7101 or Barbara Tague at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-851-0737.
- Southwest 74 CERT training will be held at Bayland Community Center, 6400 Bissonnet St, Houston, Texas 77074. Classes will be held on Thursday
evenings from 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., starting April 4, 2013 and ending May 23, 2013. To register contact Ray Field at email@example.com.
- East Aldine District Area CERT training will be held at 5333 Aldine Mail Route, Houston, TX 77039. Classes will be held on Mondays evenings
from 6:30pm - 9:30pm, beginning May 20, 2013 and ending July 8, 2013. The training is free and open to the public. To register or for further information,
please contact Mardie Menke at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 281-436-8127.
- Katy Area West I-10 VFD will be offering CERT training at the West I-10 VFD, Station 1, 22125 Kingsland, Katy, TX 77450 near the corner of
Kingsland and Mason. Training is free and open to the public. Classes will be held on Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, starting April 9, 2013 and ending May 28, 2013. To register contact Scott Fenwick at email@example.com, or Mardie Menke at
firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 281-436-8127. Sign up at http://tricountycert.org/training.html
- In-CERT schedules classes regularly at the S.H.A.P.E. Community Center located at 3815 Live Oak,
Houston, Texas 77004. For information regarding classes at this location, contact Shandenia Gay,
email@example.com, cell - 713.294.7331 or Khallid Greene,
firstname.lastname@example.org, cell - 832.245.7642.